Saturday 16 April 2011

Newtorking




Website

Ok... so networking.
Now I find this a really daunting task even if the people are as lovely as Fern Thomas and Owen Griffiths! The art scene of Swansea is fresh and fast paced but is very welcoming especially to those who are serious about art. But this doesn't stop me feeling nervous before walking through the door.

I do not cope well in big groups when they already know each other and are in deep conversation whilst holding a beer... how do you interact without coming across as rude? I managed to be cheeky enough to invite people to our degree show and hand out invitations so I guess that is a start :)


But whilst my degree opens in just over a month I have be mad enough to volunteer at LOCWS International. It is a really interesting project that takes over Swansea by putting artwork in the public space, inviting the public to interact. This year there are some really intersting pieces and I can't wait for the opening tonight at 6.30pm to see Alex Duncan's piece. I remember helping him and Hannah Downing set up their first exhibition after graduating; Ground at Pontardawe Arts Centre. It was an amazing show and yet again they were most amazing and kind people I had met!

I saw Hannah a month or two ago in Aberystwyth as she had been awarded the artist in residence there and her work was really beautiful and we had a lovely chin wag with her; she was very honest about the pitfalls of an art graduate but encouraged us to just persevere




Open for the next 6 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment